On behalf of the Leduc Giants Baseball Association I just wanted to take a few minutes of your time and communicate a few items and welcome you and your families to the 2016 baseball season. It is a very exciting time for the LBA Board of Directors as they have been diligently working through the off season planning and gearing up for another successful season of baseball in our community. We are happy to inform you that rates for the 2016 season will not be increasing however players are now required to purchase their own white baseball pants and black belts (more information below).
LBA is a proud partner of the Jumpstart for Kids program and our mission is to ensure all kids that want to play the game of baseball get that opportunity. Please contact a member of the Board of Directors if you have any questions regarding this great program.
AA Competitive team tryouts
- Evaluations for the AA teams begin March 15th at the LRC Coop Field house so if you are interested please check out our website for dates and times for your level.
- AA tryouts have expanded from a one day evaluation in previous years to 4 evaluations sessions over the course of 2 weeks.
- Should there be enough players at any level to field 2 AA competitive teams we definitely look at that possibility so if you are interested please complete the online registration and the Tryout fee.
- Yes there is a tryout fee this year with the additional booking times of the field house we needed to charge a fee to cover the costs.
- LBA members need to register for both the normal registration fee for their specific level and also for the tryout fee.
- If you are unable to attend all 4 of the evaluation session not to worry but we do require evaluations completed on all players trying out for a specific AA team.
- Non LBA members are invited to attend the AA tryouts but you will need to register on our website and select the AA tryout fee.
- If you are interesting in Coaching whether it be as the head coach or as an assistant, please fill out the Coaching application also found on our website and email it our Coaching Director Rob Peirce or myself.
- Please contact any member of the Board if you have any questions our contact information is on the website.
- Head Coaching positions count as completion of your families’ volunteer commitment.
- LBA will be hosting the Baseball Alberta Coaches clinics and Umpire clinics the weekend of April 22 to 24th at the LRC in the curling rink
- New Coaches are urged to take the Baseball Alberta Online Initiation Coaching Module and then register for the Initiation practical coach clinic Friday April 22. Coaches will be reimbursed for their online Coaching fee and LBA will also pay for you to attend the clinic on the 22nd. We just need to receive your Coaching application right away and we will advise you of the rest. These clinics will set up the coaches for a very successful and exciting baseball season.
Leduc Baseball in partnership with the Baseball Alberta Women’s team will be hosting a girls baseball day here in Leduc. This event will be open to all female baseball players. The goal is to improve the exposure of baseball to female athletes and what opportunities are available to them. This event will be a one day baseball camp where the Baseball Alberta Women’s team players and Coaches will come to Leduc and put on a 1 day camp. This will also be an excellent opportunity to talk with them and find out more about opportunities for female baseball athletes in the province.
Vacancies on the LBA Board
LBA held our Annual General Meeting in February and at the meeting we added 4 new members to the board of directors. We still have opportunities and positions available on the Board of Directors, level Coordinators and on committees so if you have the time and want to get involved and play a more active role with the planning and running of the association administration we have a spot for you. Please contact any member of the Board if you are interested.
- For the recreational teams the grey and navy Leduc jerseys were retired following the completion of the 2015 season. To replace the retired jerseys we will have new sublimated Giants jerseys for the recreational teams from Mosquito up to Midget.
- Players are required to purchase their own white pants and black belt. You can purchase these items here in town at Evolution Sporting Goods or in Edmonton at either United Cycle or Homerun Sports. The brand does not matter only that the pants are white and the belt is black. Should you choose to check out the items at Evolution please mention that you are with LBA for your player discount card.
- Players are required to supply their own batting helmet, baseball glove, White baseball pants, black belt and athletic support.
The LBA indoor clinics begin the week of March 28 and runs for five weeks until the end of April so please check the website for information regarding your child’s level times and dates. May 1st we go outside.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact myself or any member of the LBA Board of Directors and we would be happy to answer your questions.
I look forward to seeing you very soon.
Yours in baseball